Tuesday 23 August 2011

English time

A number of my friends and family have started giving me a hard time for not using more English with U. He writes scientific papers in English but struggles to have a regular conversation.

So this evening, as we were rating dinner I switched to English. I asked him about his day, ranted about the blatantly sexist news, and we talked about the food. As dinner came to a close he patted his stomach happily and said "FULL!"

I didn't immediately notice the sly grin that spread across his face as he cocked his head to the side and questioned: "you fuuuuuullll?"

I assented, and patted my stomach but he shook his head and repeated again "you fuuuuuuuulll!"

A giggle escaped him as I noticed the sly grin - the little bugger, he was making fun of me! He wasn't saying "full" but "fool"!!!

I playfully mimed cuffing him upside the head as he laughed, quite proud of himself.

The problem with helping him improve his English? Giving him another language to make fun of me in!

No comments:

Post a Comment