Monday 17 January 2011

Promise

I left work today and noticed something odd. It took me a few minutes to figure out what was wrong, and by then I had almost missed it already.

It was light out.

Sure the sun had set by the time I reached the station, but those few fleeting minutes of light... they represent the promise of longer and warmer days to come. Days when it isn't dark and cold when I leave work, when I can enjoy walking through the park to the train station. Days when I don't arrive home to a bitterly cold apartment that makes me play the how-badly-do-I-really-need-to-go game and wear a toque to bed.

Little by little the days are getting longer. Someday soon spring will come.

3 comments:

  1. you're optimistic!!

    I just returned from 32C days to snow at Narita and then awoke the next morning to a white neighbourhood and road closers everywhere. Not a big deal I suppose if your Canadian but for this little Aussie in no snow land (because it NEVER snows here)spring seems so faaarrrrrrrrrrrrr away.

    I don't envy you having to get up early or come home late when the weather is like this. I bet you'd just love some Canadian central heating right now!! Me too :)

    Lets toast to light and the coming of spring...and summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not optimistic, just HOPEFUL! Tryig not to complain about the cold. About wearing a tique to bed and dreading washing my hands in icy water. Yes I miss central heating very very much. Very much. I'm trying to be positive however and think about spring coming (eventually). The only trouble is then comes summer and if there is anything I hate more than miserable heat it is horrid humidity!! aaaaaaaaaaah!

    Try and enjoy the snow while it lasts... it can be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Japan and India have lack of central heating in common! But you're right - the days are getting longer. Hope springs eternal! love and hugs, C

    ReplyDelete