Saturday 13 December 2008

A Scarf for a Gentleman

I've been struggling with this scarf for a while. It started out life as two balls of left overs that I paired with a new ball of multi-coloured wool. I cast on lengthwise but I didn't get too far before I realized it was too short. I didn't want to rip out the stitches however, so I put it aside and decided to simply ignore it while I worked on something else. Finishing the other project I came back to this scarf, and decided I could pick up stitches on the two ends and add some length. I knit on for a while, but then I realized that it was just not right for the intended recipient. Again the scarf got put aside for something else as I couldn't remain motivated to work on something without a recipient. I am surprised how long it took me to realize what now seems obvious, but finally I picked it up again, deciding it was right for a good friend and one of the nicest guys I know.











I was finally able to give it to him today - and it matched both his shirt and jacket!


We first met in Vancouver a few years back, at the language exams and interviews for the Japanese government scholarship. It wasn't until a half a year after we arrived in Japan, however, that I actually got to know him. We both attended the Tokyo Canadian Club's annual Thanksgiving Dinner at the Pink Cow in Shibuya, where we discovered a shared love of hockey and the Vancouver Canucks.

In the year since, I've gotten to know him better and realized that just how genuinely nice he is. He's super patient, very generous, and a great listener (even when I stress obsessively over things). He's kind and considerate, a real gentleman. He's crazy intelligent and its incredible how much his Japanese has improved in such a short time (he took level one of the Japanese proficiency exam a few weeks back!). Most of all, he's good fun and has a great sense of humour. Oh, and he rides a motorcycle!

Now that I've embarrassed him totally I might as well add that he is single - so ladies, if you're interested just let me know and I'll see if I can set you up!

No comments:

Post a Comment