Wednesday 15 October 2008

October's Manners

I downloaded Tokyo Metro's October's manners poster at the start of the month, and kept thinking that I'd come up with something thought provoking or witty to say about it... And then came moving insanity. As I've mentioned before I've moved more times than I can count, and so I really should know how to do it by now. I start off well - putting things in boxes by size and whatnot, wrapping breakables and generally taking care of how I pack. By the time I get to the end, however, I end up just randomly throwing everything into a box and hoping for the best. The only saving grace this time around was that I didn't give up on labeling boxes, so I can find something I need fairly quickly. Since I don't yet have bookcases or other pieces of furniture to hold books and documents I can't really unpack yet. So the boxes remain, randomly being pillaged as needed. More inconvenient, however, is the fact that my apartment is still without a fridge and washing machine (currently staying at the home of a friend who lives nearby but is crazy busy), and gas. I got the internet connected immediately, and figured that the gas could wait until I had time to go and buy a stove top. Sunday was a warm day and, having spent the morning moving boxes, I decided to have a quick shower before I went out for my Thanksgiving dinner. I turned on the water in the tub, waiting for it to get warm... It didn't so I fiddled with it for a few minutes to no avail. I then remembered seeing a panel on the wall in the hall, so I went to check it - sure enough a water heater. So I flicked the switch to 'on' and went back to the bathroom. I gave it another few minutes to warm up, but still nothing. Yeah, I'm a bit slow. It took me a good 5 minutes to realize that the water heater was gas powered and since the gas wasn't connected in my apartment that meant I had no hot water... Sigh. Tokyo Gas is coming today. Just in time too, it has gotten chilly and wet the past few days, perfect weather for soaking in a Japanese tub when you come home from a long day of classes! Trying to get enough warm water to wash when all you have is an electric hot water pot is annoying and time consuming... Just saying!

Anyways, where was I? ... Ah, yes, October manners.



With the distracted-ness inducing piles of boxes around me, my inability to enjoy the wonders of finally having a tub, and having to prepare presentations for my grad courses (one last week, two this week, and one or two next week), my mind just isn't functioning properly. So I'm going to leave you with the thoughts of two other foreign women in Japan/bloggers: Green Eyed Geisha and Geisha Interrupted, and ask you for your thoughts too...

No comments:

Post a Comment